So we got one more day in working on the car before we decided to pack up for winter. This marks a major milestone for this project... The first time in over a decade the body and frame have been together!
First, we rolled the frame out and dropped the new floor and trunk on it. We also fired up one more time for the year. This time it caught the attention of our neighbor who recently restored an old Mustang. He popped over to shoot the breeze for a while and admire our efforts. It's a great feeling to answer questions about this car knowing we've been building it all ourselves, including the engine and transmission. The pictures tell the rest with some insights in the captions below. Give me a holler if you like what we're doing!
|This left what's left of the original body hanging by a couple of chains!😲😲|
Next we started installing the new bushings. We decided to go with rubber bushings after hearing the poly bushings can give a harsh ride. Considering how much of the original rubber was still intact after pulling the body I felt new rubber would be sufficient going forward. Stainless hardware was used also.
|Here you see we included the wagon and El Camino only bushings that install fore of the rear spring pockets. They were included with the kit from Ecklers, the frame has provisions for them, so let's use 'em!|
|Just about lined up. Time to start lowering the body!|